…from the Perspectives’ Kitchen
How you doin’? We’re well into back-to-school and NFL football, so it’s definitely time to pull out one of your kitchen’s most time-saving and effective appliances… the Instant Pot (or slow cooker).
Everyone loves a messy barbecued chicken sandwich, but they can take some time to make. Here’s an easy way to shave about 4 hours off the cook time. It’s just chicken breasts and a bunch of staples you probably have on hand — plus a simple but rather genius sauce. It begins with bottled barbeque sauce, then we pep it up with high-flavor additions like Worcestershire sauce, Italian dressing, and brown sugar. (Read: nothing you must make from scratch.) But there’s still room for creativity.
Like things sweeter? Try a heavier hand with the brown sugar. Looking for a little spice tonight? Go ahead and layer on some red pepper flakes for an extra kick. Once the chicken is cooked and cooling, we add a cornstarch slurry to the simmering sauce, which makes it thick and glossy and just about irresistible.
We like to pull this together on Sunday morning, after the brunch dishes have been cleared but before the rest of the day gets away from us. By dinnertime, it’s all ready to go. If you’re looking to round it out, we serve it with a coleslaw, for coolness and crunch.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
3/4 cup barbecue sauce, plus more for serving (your favorite)
1/4 cup Italian dressing
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock
1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
Rolls, sliced in half and toasted, for serving
Coleslaw, for serving
1. In the inner pot of the Instant Pot, combine the barbecue sauce, Italian dressing, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and chicken broth. Stir well.
2. Place the chicken breasts into the Instant Pot.
3. Close the lid of the Instant Pot and make sure the release valve is closed.
4. Set the Instant Pot for HIGH PRESSURE for 30 MINUTES.
5. After the cook time, QUICK RELEASE the pressure at the pressure valve.
6. Transfer the chicken pieces to a cutting board, leaving the sauce in the Instant Pot. Using 2 forks, shred the chicken and set it aside.
7. Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE.
8. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water. Add the cornstarch mixture to the barbecue sauce, stir to combine and cook until the sauce is thickened and heated through, 5 TO 10 MINUTES.
9. Return the shredded chicken to the Instant Pot, stir to combine and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
10.Serve the chicken on a toasted roll, drizzled with additional barbecue sauce and topped with coleslaw.
ChefSecret: Add 1 or 2 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to the pot before cooking for a richer tasting barbecue sauce.
Covid-19 Quip of the Day: “Why did the chicken marry the crocodile? Because crocodoodledoo is a great family name!”
Do you have a question or comment? Do you want to share a favorite recipe or pictures with our readers? Send your thoughts to email@example.com. All recipes and cooking tips are posted on our website https://www.perspectives-la.com/covid-19-survival-guide.
To you and everyone dear to you, be strong, be positive, stay well, stay safe and be kind. Take a breath and count your blessings, and if you have a little extra to share with others, please consider donating to Feeding America.
#Entrees #InstantPot #BBQPulledChickenSandwiches #BBQ #ChickenSandwich #ColeSlaw #2022 #Covid19 #FeedingAmerica #PerspectivesTheConsultingGroup
©Perspectives/The Consulting Group, LLC, 2022
For over 4 decades collaboration and vision have been the cornerstones of our approach to developing innovative solutions. We fuel innovation, uncover opportunities, discover trends and embrace sustainability, turning imaginative ideas into profitable realities.